Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ring from Scrap... Part III

Well things don't always turn out the way you want them...

Remember a while back I said not to mix your metals... well this also means to not mix fine silver with sterling... because the overall melt point lowers and you end up with a melt-down.  That's what happened when I tried to fill the gaps that I had in the bezel.

So... not wanting to give up, I changed the design of the ring and it became a band.  I replaced the bezel with a piece of thick brass.   Once all the welding and cleaning was over, I gave the band a treatment with the ball pein hammer.  So the surface now has nice little dimples in it.

I'll see if I can get a better picture of the effect, it really adds to the band. 

Regardless, this was a really great learning experience, and really fun to make...from scarp silver, to bi-metal band !

No comments:

Post a Comment